1. What is palm leaf dinnerware?
Our palm leaf dinnerware range is made from fallen leaves of the Areca palm tree found in abundance in tropical regions of the Pacific, Asia and East Africa. They are then handmade by rural men and women in the southern parts of India.
2. How are palm leaf plates made?
Palm leaf plates are made through an age-old technique of heat pressing dry palm leaves. The Areca palm trees shed their dried leaves many times a year. The leaves are collected, trimmed and cleaned in freshwater. While still moist, they are compressed with heated plates and moulded into desired shapes.
3. What are the key benefits of palm leaf tableware?
- Our palm leaf dinnerware is engineered to be biodegradable, durable and very beautiful! The natural beauty and strength of our plates make them the perfect single-use tableware, suitable for any occasion.
- They are made from naturally fallen leaves, so instead of going to a landfill or worse, burnt, the leaves are used to make beautiful tableware.
- There are no chemicals or artificial binders used in the manufacturing process of our plates, so it is totally eco-friendly and sustainable.
- No trees are harmed or cut down in the process of making our palm leaf dinnerware.
4. Are palm leaf plates organic?
The plates are 100% organic as they are made from natural leaves. No chemicals, toxins or binding agents are used in the manufacturing process.
5. Why does my palm leaf dinnerware come in plastic packaging?
Made from dried leaves, the plates naturally absorb moisture from the surrounding environment. The plastic packaging prevents the build-up of moisture and hence stop the leaves from getting mouldy.
We have tried plant-based compostable packaging in the past, but the results have been far from successful. We continue to invest time and money in researching alternatives to plastic packaging and would also love to hear any suggestions from our customers.
6. Are palm plates the same as bamboo plates?
Palm plates are often confused with bamboo plates as they are both plant-based and have a woody finish. Bamboo plates are made from bamboo shoots that are cut down for making plates. A commonly used technique involves glueing together thin sheets of bamboo to make sturdy plates.
Palm plates, on the other hand, are made from the fallen leaves of Areca palm trees. The plates are made solely from leaves without the need for artificial adhesives. Also, no harm is inflicted on the palm trees that produce the leaves.
7. Is palm leaf tableware compostable?
Yes. Palm leaf tableware is 100% compostable in backyard composting bins. They fully decompose in 6 to 8 weeks leaving behind nutrient-rich compost. Unlike bioplastics or bagasse products, they don’t require industrial composting facilities or high temperatures to degrade.
8. I don’t have a compost bin? How can I dispose of used plates?
In the absence of home compost bins, palm leaf plates can be disposed of in regular trash or food waste where they will decompose naturally in a landfill.
9. Why are there colour variations, dark streaks and splotches on the products?
No two leaves are the same, which means no two palm leaf dishes are the same. Each plate/bowl is different with its unique personality. The colour variations, streaks and splotches are normal and are due to the natural variations in the leaves.
10. How do Palm dishes smell and do they change the taste of food?
We do not use any chemicals to alter the natural properties of the leaves, hence there may be a mild woody scent to palm dishes (the smell of dried palm leaves). However, this does not interfere with the smell or taste of food.
11. Are leaf plates microwave and oven safe?
We have tested leaf plates in the microwave for 2 minutes at 800W and in the oven for 30 minutes at 180-degree C. They could be used at higher temperatures but please be cautious when doing so. Please note they are not suitable for direct use in a fire.
12. Are leaf plates fridge and freezer safe?
Yes, they are fridge and freezer safe.
13. Where can I use palm leaf dinnerware?
Our palm leaf dinnerware can be used anywhere where plastic or paper disposables are used. They are a perfect choice for weddings, catering events, birthday parties, barbecues, picnics and garden parties. They are highly functional, sturdy and elegant and can be used anywhere where it is practical to use disposable tableware.
14. Are palm plates and bowls sturdy?
If it is your first time using Canape King palm leaf plates and bowls, buy some and see for yourself! You will be very surprised at how sturdy they are!
Palm leaves are naturally strong and the heat compress used to mould the leaves strengthen them further. They are stronger than most plastic and paper plates available in the market and you can confidently hold your food with one hand.
15. Can I clean and reuse palm leaf products?
Palm leaf products are designed for one-time use, however many of our customers have said they have reused them. The fact that they are so sturdy makes it hard to throw them away after just one use. When used with non-sticky/non-greasy food, the plates and bowls can be wiped clean/washed, dried and reused.
16. Should I wash the plates before first use?
Our dishes come pre-washed and treated under high temperatures, so washing before use is not required.
17. Can I serve hot and cold food in palm dinnerware?
Our palm leaf dinnerware is heat and cold resistant making them suitable for hot and cold foods. The thick walls prevent extreme temperatures from being passed on to your hands or lap.
18. Are palm leaf products linked to palm oil?
No, our palm leaf products are made from Areca palm trees. Palm oil, widely linked with deforestation, is from a variety of palm trees called Oil Palm found mainly in Indonesia and Malaysia.
19. Is deforestation involved in the manufacturing of palm leaf tableware?
No. Areca palm trees are grown in existing plantations for their edible nut and other useful by-products. Our tableware is made from palm leaves that naturally fall from the trees, so you can be sure that no trees are harmed or cut down.
20. When can I expect my order?
If your order is being shipped with our Royal Mail service you can expect your order within 2-3 business days after purchase.
If your order is being shipped with our DPD Next Day service you can expect your order the next business day after purchase. You should receive a text message and an email on the day of your delivery letting you know the exact time your delivery is due. Please note we only dispatch orders placed before 2 pm on that day.
Please use our contact form to contact us if you haven’t received your order within these times.
21. How can I place wholesale or bulk orders?
Please write to us using our contact form.